Saturday, March 28, 2015

First garden post of the season!

Hello!  I am so excited that it is Spring!  We have had gorgeous weather so far!  We've been fishing, boating, getting the garden ready, and raking so many leaves.  Yes, we have huge trees in our yard and are still raking leaves from the fall.  I'm guessing we had 20 bags in the fall and just filled another 15 today.  I'm crossing my fingers, but I think we are done raking for awhile!  Hallelujah!

One of my hobbies is gardening.  And as most of you know, I got this from my dear mother!  She has taught me everything I know!  I still call her for advice each Spring.  And...she is coming to visit Easter weekend!  My dad, mom AND Phil!!  Aaron and I are soooo excited to have them visit for the weekend!  We plan on doing lots of fun things with them!  

Below you will find some old & new pictures of the garden boxes we completed today!  I am very thankful to have a husband that is supportive, hardworking, and enjoys helping me in the yard.  Our yard is huge, which we really enjoy, but definitely takes a lot of effort to maintain.


Casey Boy absolutely LOVES leaves.  He likes to lay in them and roll around and get all dirty in them.  Oh to be a dog!  So that's why he is sitting on the leaves in the garden....this is the before picture!  The garden boxes were made by the previous home owner and were rotting away.  We were in need of a garden face-lift!  



Oh, and I haven't planted a thing this year and I have onions and carrots already growing!  Pretty cool how plants can re-seed!  We already bought lettuce, spinach, and sugar snap peas to plant over Easter weekend with my parents.

Ahh...don't the paths look so clean and weed free?  That crabgrass is a PAIN to pull.  It's long and stringy and is full of sharp roots.  My hands definitely hurt this eve.  Aaron was so sweet and helped A LOT.


More garden pictures to come over the next few months!  
Also, we decided on another home improvement project for this summer....a bigger deck for the back yard!  Maybe even with some corner stairs!  We really enjoy being in the backyard and have such a small deck right now, however, the patio is a nice size.  Aaron is also a pro at building decks, so it's only natural for him to take on this job! (You can see the current deck in the first picture of this blog)  
Alright, enough for now.  
-Maria


No comments:

Post a Comment